CHIEF AND COUNCILORS
In March of 1997 the election process was ratified, by a Special General Assembly held in Old Crow, to go back to the old system of one Chief and four Councilors.
The following persons were elected to Chief and Council on November 10, 2003:
Vuntut Gwitchin Chief
- Deputy Chief
- Director, Human Resources
Past Chief and Councilors
Roles and Responsibilities of Chief and Council. Condensed from the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Constitution. (NOTE THE CONSTITUTION OF VGFN IS CURRENTLY UNDER REVISION AND THE ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF CHIEF AND COUNCIL MAY VARY ACCORDING TO REVISIONS MADE.)
- The powers of the VGFN government are divided into four branches: the Chief and Council, the General Assembly, the Elders Council, and the Tribal Court. No person or group charged with the exercise of powers properly belonging to one of these branches shall exercise any power belonging to the others, except as this Constitution may express or permit.
- There shall be a Chief and Council elected by the eligible voters of the Vuntut Gwitchin pursuant to the Election Rules and Regulations set out in the VGFN Constitution.
- The Chief and Council shall consist of one Chief and three councilors.
- In the event that the required number of nominees have not been nominated to fill all the positions on the Council, the Elders Council shall recommend suitable candidates to the community at large in a duly called public meeting. All recommended candidates shall be consulted prior to nomination and the membership at large in Old Crow, must by consensus, approve the recommendations prior to the affirmation of the recommended candidate under this process.
- The terms of office for the Chief and Councilors shall be two years.
- The Chief and Council shall have and may exercise all the legal capacity, rights powers and privileges of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation as a legal entity and in accordance with the Constitution, may authorize the doing of such things as it may deem conducive to the exercise of such rights, powers, and privileges in the best interest of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation.
- The Chief and Council may enact such laws as it deems conducive to the general welfare and good government of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation. All laws enacted by the Chief and Council shall be consistent with the objects in the Constitution and the policy and guidelines established from time to time by the General Assembly. The Chief and Council shall establish, by law, after not less than 30 days written notice in advance, a general procedure for the enactment of laws.
Duties and powers also include:
- implementing the direction of the General Assembly and adhering to its guidelines.
- setting clear policies and guidelines and ensuring good management and reporting in all aspects of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Government within the jurisdiction of the Chief and Council.
- allocating money and providing services to other branches of Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Government.
- maintaining up to date financial records and guaranteeing strict financial accountability in all aspects of Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Business and administration
- enacting land use codes pertaining to Settlement Lands and other lands under the ownership or jurisdiction of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation and establishing a system of laws according to the traditions, needs and ideals of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation and in accord with the objectives of the Constitution.
- exercising all jurisdiction power and authority of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation and fulfilling any duties of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation pursuant to the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Final Agreement and the Vuntut Gwitchin Self Government Agreement.
- as they deem advisable, establishing any trust for the benefit of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation, constituting any persons as trustees thereof and vesting therein any property of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation.
- exercising such other powers as may incidental to the exercise of their powers or the performance of their duties under the Constitution, the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Final Agreement or the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Self Government Agreement.
Duties Of The Chief
- The Chief of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation shall be the general spokes person for the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation and the chief executive in its government.
- The Chief shall hold no other office except as provided in the Constitution or as specifically approved by the Chief and Council.
If you would like further information please contact us at:
Chief and Council
- The Chief shall be the presiding officer of the Chief and Council and the General Assembly.
Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation
P.O. Box 94
Old Crow, Yukon
Canada, Y0B 1N0
Tel: (867) 966-3261
Fax: (867) 966-3116