Wolf Art by Lawrence Dean Charlie

Caribou Art by Lawrence Dean Charlie
Caribou Logo

On July 23, 2001 the old settlement of Rampart House experienced its largest gathering in 50 years.

Page 1

Caribou Logo

Ten riverboats as well as two helicopters made the 80 km. journey down the Porcupine River from Old Crow. They had come to take part in a ceremony marking the signing of a management plan by Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation Chief Joe Linklater and Yukon Minister of Tourism, Sue Edelman. River boats traveling down the Porcupine River to Rampart House

Rampart House Boat Landing Rampart House Boat Landing

Adam Morrison of Trans North Helicopters Adam Morrison,
Pilot/Base Manager with Trans North Helicopters flew in Elders, journalists, politicians and Yukon government officials.

Before the signing, salmon chowder, bannock and tea were served by Bertha Frost. Salmon Chowder Lunch

Dan Cadzow's House - Restoration in Progress The historic site will now be managed by VGFN and Yukon Government for protection, conservation and interpretation of heritage resources. This settlement, one of two early settlements established by outsiders in the traditional territory of the Vuntut Gwitchin, marks a period of change and transition.

Restoration of the Cadzow Store The Hudson's Bay Company first moved into the country from the Mackenzie River in the 1840's to establish fur trading posts. In 1846 they built Lapierre House on the Bell River approximately 120 kms. west of Old Crow and the following year built Fort Yukon in Alaska.

The site of Rampart House is just one of many used by the Gwitchin for thousands of years. Migrating caribou are hunted as they cross the river in this area and salmon are caught in river eddies. Traditional trails link Rampart House with Old Crow Flats and on to Herschel Island where people traveled to hunt, trap and to trade. Rampart House was established as a Hudson's Bay trading post in 1890. The post had been moved upstream on the Porcupine River when it was discovered an earlier site was located in Alaska. Within a few years the Anglican Church was established and St. Luke's Church was built and remains today. The church operated a school here from 1916 to 1921. By 1904 Dan Cadzow, an independent trader opened a store. Cadzow's house was the largest building and still dominates the site.

RCMP Post - Rampart HouseThe Northwest Mounted Police also had a post here from 1912 to 1929. Many Gwitchin families built homes. In 1892, 163 of the 171 residents were Gwitchin. By the 1940's the Anglican Mission had moved to Old Crow where a store had opened and a new settlement was established. By 1947 the last resident had left Rampart House.

Rev. Ellen Bruce - Opening Prayer
The signing ceremony started with an opening prayer by
Rev. Ellen Bruce.

Page [1] [2] [Next]